Saturday, July 16, 2011

In the kitchen

At least once a week I try to have the kids come bake and or cook with me seperately. I get to have one and one time with them and show them the ins and out of food. Noah always has lots of questions and little patience..ha but he is a little 4 year old boy. But he is always wanting to know what ingredients are in everything we make which makes for a lot of conversations :)
I have been really looking into my own at home cupcake or cake business...so for now I am loving this cake pop idea! I tried a recipe last week and the cake part was awesome but my outer shell never got hard. So today after some tweeks I think we are on the road to success! Today I used a doctored cake mix but from now on I will use my own whole wheat yummy cakes that don't have all the processed junk in them. But I wanted to just try mix for today to make it easier on myself :) Adi had a blast getting messy and really working with her hands. Usually she's pretty timid to do so since I am a clean freak..but hey I am getting out of my shell somewhat lol. It was a time of laughter, jokes, girl time, and just plain fun bonding time with my eldest daughter. Arwen had fun watching and helping push Adi's chair around in the kitchen.

Later in the day I had Noah help me make some yummy whole wheat pumpkin muffins for our "breakfast for dinner". He asked a lot of questions like usual which made me giggle and did a great job stirring and adding ingredients. He said "oh mom you can do the eggs cuz they're too messy". He doesn't like to get his hands all ooey either like big sis. His favorite part was that we soaked the raisins in hot water to make them plump again. He thought that was amazing lol.
Well here's our Whole Wheat Pumpkin Muffin Recipe
1st soak 3/4 cup raisins with hot water that covers them for a few mins
1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp ciannamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
mix the dry ingredients together then make a well for the liquid
2 range free organic eggs
1/2 cup raw honey
1/4 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup safflower oil
mix together and then fold the raisins. Bake 350 degrees for 17-19 mins

No comments:

Post a Comment